- The Teachings of the Compassionate Buddha - E.A.
- Buddha - Karen Armstrong
- Buddhism: A Concise Introduction - Huston Smith,
- Buddhist Scriptures (Penguin Classics) - Edward Conze
- The Story of Buddhism - Donald Lopez
- What the Buddha Taught - Walpola Rahula
- The Heart of the Buddha’s Teaching - Thich Nhat Hanh
- Mindfulness in Plain English - Ven. Bhante H. Gunaratana
- Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English
- Ven. Bhante H. Gunaratana
- The Heart of Buddhist Meditation - Nyanaponika Thera
- The Heart of Buddhism
- Guy Claxton
- Awakening the Buddha Within - Lama Surya Das
- The Tibetan
Book of Living and Dying - Sogyal Rinpoche
- The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living - H.H.
The Dalai Lama and Howard C. Cutler
- Inner Revolution: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Real Happiness
- Robert Thurman
initially resisted making this page as, based on personal experience, I feel it’s better
to avoid telling people what books to read on subjects like this, since it is apt to be based more on my own needs and
tastes than theirs. That said, perhaps this website is incomplete without a list of some books that have helped me in this
area, or others that I think would be appropriate for a beginner.
I have left out many other good books by authors such as Alan Watts, Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, Jack Kornfield, Sharon
Salzberg, Mark Epstein, D.T. (and Shunryu) Suzuki and Pema Chodron, but I
had to set a limit somewhere. Once a practitioner has an understanding of the basics, they can continue on with more
texts (and there are very many).